Sony just announced another new camera, and this time it’s an ultra compact pro oriented point and shoot style camera known as the RX100 VII. I recently reviewed the Sony RX100 VI Here >>, and although that camera was really awesome and very similar to this camera, it’s now clearly second best….
First a quick breakdown, but be sure to scroll down for all the reviews if you want to skip that…
The new Sony RX100 VII is going for $1198 US and features a newly developed 1″ stacked Exmor RS sensor that packs a DRAM chip and the latest BIONZ X image processor which enables it to shoot 20fps black-out free! Meaning you can see your subject the whole time while the images are taking without a brief blackout on the screen in between shots. This makes it way easier to track moving subjects when shooting at 20fps as you can imagine.
Basically this is the flagship Sony A9 technology that has tricked it’s way down into the ultra compact point and shoot style RX100 VII. My review of the Sony A9 is Here >>, by the way if your interested.
For crazy accurate autofocus the new Sensor has 357-point focal-plane phase-detection AF + 425-point contrast-detection AF with world’s fastest 0.02 sec focus acquisition speeds.
Other features the Sony RX100 VII is packing is the new Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF for Humans and animals, just like the New Sony A7R IV and A6400 which I just reviewed Here >> In addition the RX100 VI is offering a new Single Burst Drive mode at up to 90fps!!
On the video side of things, the Sony RX100 VI is offering 4K HDR (HLG) with the same real time tracking technology for photos, 4K Active Steadyshot, and a new built in Microphone Jack!
The RX100 VII by default is limited to 5 minute clips when recording in 4k quality just like the previous RX100 VI and RX100 VA generation cameras. However, if you enable the new Auto Power Off Temp to High as opposed to the standard default, you can record clips for much longer periods of time. Gordon Laing for example, recorded an a clip that was over 1 hour long! Basically the camera will record until the battery dies, if it runs out of memory, or if it gets seriously overheated.
Sony RX100 VI – Key Features:
- 20.1MP 1″ Exmor RS BSI CMOS Sensor w/ DRAM chip
- BIONZ X Image Processor & Front-End LSI
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* f/2.8-4.5 Lens
- 24-200mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Fast Hybrid AF System with 357 Points
- Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF for Humans and Animals
- 20fps black-out free (Sony A9 Technology)
- Single Burst Drive mode at up to 90fps
- UHD 4K30p Video with HLG & S-Log3 Gammas
- 4k Active Steadyshot
- 4k video limited to 5 minute clips by default
- New Auto Power Off Temp High allows for much longer 4K Video Recording Clips
- No Built in ND Filter
- Microphone Jack
- Interval Shooting – Time-Lapse
- HFR Mode for Full HD Video up to 960 fps
- 0.39″ 2.36m-Dot OLED Pop-Up EVF
- 3.0″ 921.6k-Dot 180° Tilting Touchscreen
- ISO 12800 and 24 fps Continuous Shooting
- Minimum Focus Distance = 3.15″ / 8 cm
- Battery = NP-BX1, 3.6 VDC, 1240 mAh
- Weight = 10.62 oz / 301 g (Body with Battery and Memory)
- Price = $1298 US
Sony | Cyber-shot | RX100 VII – Product Feature
Sony | Cyber-shot | RX100 VII – MIAMI VLOG
Sony | Cyber-shot | RX100 VII – Real-time Tracking
Sony | Cyber-shot | RX100 VII – 4K HDR(HLG) sample video
Sony RX100 VII Photos
Sony RX100 VII – Reviews and First Look Previews
The Sony RX100 VII was just announced and already we have several reviews and first look videos to check out!!
DPReview TV: Sony RX100 VII Review
THE PERFECT CAMERA????!!! New RX100 VII Review!
Sony RX100 VII review – the BEST pocket camera, at a price
Gordon does a fantastic job reviewing the new Sony RX100 VII, and compares it against the Canon G5X Mark II, and Canon G7X Mark III, which is direct in class competition. I highly recommend checking out this video in its entirety .
Sony RX100 VII: Is this the best vlogging camera EVER?
Sony RX100 VII Review: DSLR Power in your Pocket?
Sony RX100 VII :: Incredible!!!
Recommended Sony RX100 VII Accessories:
- Sony NP-BX1 Battery @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Memory Cards @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony RX100 VII Case @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony AG-R2 Attachment Grip @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony VCT-SGR1 Shooting Grip @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony Wireless Remote Commander >>
- Recommended Shotgun Style Microphones for Video >>
- Recommended High Quality Lavalier style Microphone >>
- RX100 VII Microphone Mount Vlog Bracket Handle Grip w Cold Shoe Mount >>
I will continue to add new reviews to this article as they are released, but for now I can tell you the RX100 VII is the most sweet bonanza oyna powerful ultra compact camera money can buy for sure! Is it worth it? Probably not to most, and I’m sure the very similar slightly less powerful RX100 VI will drop in price making it way more appealing!
Please let me know what you guys are thinking and have a great day, Jay