In this review I will be covering the Sony FE 200-600mm G OSS Lens from a Real World Perspective using the Sony A6600 which will yield me an effective 300-900mm range!! Yeah, I know that is insane and I must tell you it was a ton of fun to use 🙂
I went for the crop factor camera over the full frame for this review, because I wanted maximum reach and the latest and greatest autofocus abilities along with sensor stabilization. I was really curious about hand holding such a beast of a lens, because when I tried to hand hold the large and heavy Sigma 150-600mm a few years ago pretty much every shot was blurry and a tripod or sandbag to lean on turned out to be almost mandatory.
I am very happy to report this lens is totally capable of using hand held and even at slower shutter speeds which is really remarkable consider the size, weight, and incredible telephoto range.
A few pics of this beast mounted to the Sony A6600.
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/5.6-6.3 to f/32-36
- APS-C Effective Focal Length = 300-900mm
- 5 ED Elements & 1 Aspherical Element
- Nano AR Coating and Fluorine Coating
- Direct Drive Super Sonic Wave AF Motor
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- Internal Focus; Focus Range Limiter
- Dust and Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Eleven-Blade Circular Diaphragm
- Minimum Focus Distance = 7.88′ / 2.4 m
- Filter Thread = 95 mm (Front)
- Weight = 4.67 lb / 2.12 kg
- Price = $1998 US @ BHPhoto
My Sony FE 200-600mm G OSS Lens Review
I really hope you enjoy this review and please let me know what you think down below in the comments area.
Sony FE 200-600mm G OSS Lens & Recommended Accessories:
- Sony FE 200-600mm G OSS Lens: https://bhpho.to/2vlJfsg
- 95mm ND Filters: https://bhpho.to/39eNLaO
- 95mm Polarizing Filters: https://bhpho.to/2OGlx0N
- 95mm UV Filters: https://bhpho.to/39gGiIc
- Sony ALC-SH157 – Lens Hood: https://bhpho.to/39gGM0Y
- Front Lens Cap: https://bhpho.to/38ec48D
- Rear lens Cap: https://bhpho.to/2vNMgMI
- LensCoat Lens Cover: https://bhpho.to/2Sz0fU7
- Lens Foot w/ Arca Swiss Mount: https://bhpho.to/2ScfjYM
- Lens Care and Cleaning kits: https://bhpho.to/2JJRu69
- Sony FE 1.4X Teleconverter: https://bhpho.to/2wlmKjG
Gear used for this video:
- Sony A6600: https://bhpho.to/2uyG7JD
- Sony A6400: https://bhpho.to/2G3GwFF
- Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens: https://bhpho.to/2OzCdbB
- Sony 18-135mm OSS lens: https://bhpho.to/2A2XkLr
- SDXC Memory Card: https://bhpho.to/30eyfM1
- Sony A7R: https://amzn.to/2UWGqb9
- Impact Lighting Kit: https://bhpho.to/316Kl9s
- Manfrotto Tripod: https://amzn.to/2AQplsL
- MacBook Pro: https://amzn.to/2UWItvR
- WD Portable 5TB Hard Drive: https://amzn.to/2UVJKnb
Because this lens is such a telephoto I was not able to test it in my lab scene with any sort of effectiveness, so I just went with the real worlds sample photos for this review.
If you are in the market for a super telephoto zoom lens the Sony FE 200-600mm G OSS Lens is a great option in my opinion.
The build quality, design, and image quality are all very good in the real world. The lens is heavy, but totally usable even hand-held thanks to the impressive optical stabilization especially when combined with a sensor stabilized camera like the A6600 which is what I used.
The lens did suffer from a little lens creep when aiming the lens straight up with is worth noting.
Overall I highly recommend this lens and had a really good time using it with the Sony A6600 yielding me an effective 300-900mm zoom range…
I hope you guys got what you were looking for in this review and please feel free to ask questions and comment below as always. Have a great day and I will catch up with you next time, Jay