Thread: The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City

The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City

The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City is a awesome facility and I want to go back with a full arsenal of lenses, tri-pod, and batteries next time! Yeah, it was that cool guys I'm telling you.

I used the Sony RX100 III, because I wanted to show you off just how awesome this point and shoot style camera really is! I shot is jpeg extra fine mode and saved these out from Ligtroom 5 as Jpegs 80% quality, 1000px, and standard sharpening for screen.

Walking up to the massive ship.

The incredible heavy duty nature of everything on this ship was just amazing to see. So simple in design, yet crazy strong and effective!

Heavy duty protection flap for the window and a really nice Navy veteran that apologized for stepping in my shot I did not mind at all though and made sure he knew that! Super nice guy btw...

Many more to come soon...

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

The Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird is what I always knew this plane as, and Wikipedia has a pretty nice write up with some links if you want to learn more. Basically it's one one of the most bad-ass spy planes on the planet and way ahead in regards to all other planes currently in the air at the time. Designed to out fly missiles and be stealthy. I really wanted to check this out first as my buddy Jim had a model in his room when we were kids and I was always fascinated with it ever since. Top speed 1,905.81 knots (2,193.2 mph; 3,529.6 km/h), approximately Mach 3.3

The SR-71 was powered by two Pratt & Whitney J58 engines

Image below of engine courtesy of Wikipedia:

The Plane next door.

More to come soon...

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Hardcore Member
    Did you get a chance to do any of these frames with the a7r(for comparison)?

Looks like you turned a 'job' into something 'fun' too....always a bonus! Keep those frames coming!!!!!!!

Scott (SR71 stats were faked, no one really knows) B

Quote Originally Posted by SDB777 View Post
    Did you get a chance to do any of these frames with the a7r(for comparison)?

Looks like you turned a 'job' into something 'fun' too....always a bonus! Keep those frames coming!!!!!!!

Scott (SR71 stats were faked, no one really knows) B

Negative on the A7r photos as the batteries were exhausted I thought the SR-71 did Mach 8 and it really looks like it could. What coould they possible have now with 54 years more technology and un limited funding? It seams pretty clear to me, but nobody really knows for sure.

Thanks for the comments and I have a bunch more!

Jay

Great pictures Jay!

Nice pictures & great piece of information Jay. Thanks for sharing . Information on Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird is fascinating .

Thanks buddies I totally agree and jut found this cool video for your viewing pleasure:

Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird

SR-71 J58 Engine Tour

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Negative on the A7r photos as the batteries were exhausted
    We should be carrying spare batteries like bullet belts.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    We should be carrying spare batteries like bullet belts.
    lol I had one and really thought that would be enough considering the RX100 was primary cam

SR-71 Pilot Alert!

Here Rich Graham talks about how he got involved in flying the SR-71 and other airplanes. That audio in this video is not the best. We shot this at the Frontiers of Flight Museum beside the J-58 engine used in the SR-71. The kids area was very close to us and there were several kids having a good time, so you can hear them in the backround sometimes.
    This guy is clearly brilliant and you can see for yourself below!

Jay
    Last edited by Jay; Nov 3 2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: info

Here is a few more planes and helicopters from the deck of the mighty Intrepid Aircraft Carrier which was official decommissioned in 1974 btw All taken with the powerful Sony RX100 III ultra compact point and shoot style camera. Note how sharp that Zeiss lens and sensor combo is no matter what focal length!

Serious HP!

The folding wings are engineering marvels and impressive to see the various solutions engineers came up with.

Look at this amazing coast guard rescue chopper 1429. It could land in the water also I gather.

Check out these guns

Thanks for looking and more to come!

Jay

Jay great shots mate and talk about bringing back some memories, the wife and I spent the day aboard the Intrepid last year during our epic USA trip. Knowing what is there I know you have many more great shots to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Simsy View Post
    Jay great shots mate and talk about bringing back some memories, the wife and I spent the day aboard the Intrepid last year during our epic USA trip. Knowing what is there I know you have many more great shots to share.
    Thanks man Oh man was it a lot of fun! I have a bunch more good ones for sure as well.. Not enough time though in a day...

Jay

Moving on to inside the Intrepid ship itself, we have this amazing helicopter that I could not stop staring at. I always think of the totally awesome movie Predator with Arnold saying "Get to the Chopper!!" in that classic voice

The Sony RX100 III did a fantastic job on full Auto, but I wanted to try Auto HDR mode this time due to the extreme dynamic range inside the ship! The results, were excellent in my opinion as expected. Talk about a killer walk around that fits in your pocket literally! Viewing on the web these images look amazing, but at 100% crop you can see the difference compared to the full frame Sony A7r for example. The a7r would require a tri-pod for a lot of these shots though unless I had a super fast lens on it, or really cranked up the ISO. A tri-pod would be ideal either way of course.

Another cool plane that would drop torpedo's out the bottom.

This could be the craziest job ever!

Signal's

The huge propeller

Eject, eject!!

Thanks for looking and more to come,
    Jay

Thanks for sharing Jay. Virtually I am walking with you now :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Cinjith View Post
    Thanks for sharing Jay. Virtually I am walking with you now :-)
    Exactly the effect I was hoping for Thanks for the comments bud!

Jay

Nice set Jay!
    Sony a77, Sony a100, Minota XG1, Minolta AF 80-200mm f/2.8 HS-APO G, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Minolta 70-210 f4 Beer Can, Minolta Crossed XX 50mm 1.8, Rokinon 8mm 3.5, Rokinon 85mm 1.4, Tamron 10-24mm, Sony 16-50mm 2.8 SSM, Tamron 90mm 2.8, Sony HVL-F56AM Flash, Yongnuo YN560-II Flashes, Alien Bees, Westcott & Paul Buff Modifiers, Pixel Opas, Filters, What Nots & Doo Dads.

good job Jay how did you go with the shuttle

Thanks Lloyd and Simsy for the comments! I did not go into the shuttle pavilion as it was a lot more money and we were very limited with time as it was. Next time though for sure!

Here are the rest of the shots I got from the Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum courtesy of the killer ultra compact Sony RX100M3 camera.

First an awesome fighter jet that I enjoyed looking at for several minutes.

I thought it was pretty interesting how the bunks were set up. My Dad told me he was on the top bunk when he was in the Navy.

The Apollo space craft was picked up by the Intrepid at some point in time.

A Lego Intrepid! Sry for the poor shot, but the lighting was brutal. I should have used Auto HDR for this image!

Check out the Chain and Anchor Room:

Some Scale for ya..

Anchor controls

And lastly on the way out we looked at this first of it's kind submarine with serious launch capabilities.

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

that last 1 would be the nuclear armed missile sub, a little cramped in there for a big bloke like me but nowhere near as tight as an old 50's attack sub I once toured. that little sony and the operator of course did a top job mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Simsy View Post
    that last 1 would be the nuclear armed missile sub, a little cramped in there for a big bloke like me but nowhere near as tight as an old 50's attack sub I once toured. that little sony and the operator of course did a top job mate.
    Thanks very much bud Good times for sure and I can't wait to go back so I can learn and see more!

Jay